ThanksUSA and the Post-9/11 GI Bill
ThanksUSA is a non-partisan, charitable effort to mobilize Americans of all ages to "thank" the men and women of the United States armed forces by providing need-based college, technical and vocational school scholarships for their children and spouses.
ThanksUSA Scholarship Program Highlights
- 3,000 scholarships awarded for a total value of almost $10 million
- Our scholarship recipients come from each of the 50 states and D.C.
- Recipients represent all military branches including Guard and Reserves and the wounded and fallen
A common question we get here at ThanksUSA is...Why should we donate money for military family scholarships when the post-9/11 G.I. Bill allows service members to transfer unused educational benefits to their spouses or children?
Here are a several facts about the post-9/11 G.I. Bill program that became effective August 1, 2009
- The post-9/11 G.I. Bill provides 36 months of tuition benefits -- about right for one individual to complete an undergraduate degree.
- Although the post-9/11 G.I. Bill offers flexibility of educational benefits --- specifically, the chance to transfer some or all of these benefits to dependent family members -- tuition limitations and required-service mandates leave most dependents in need of supplemental financial aid.
- Members of the Armed Forces may only transfer unused benefits after completing six years of service and committing to an additional four years.
- Tuition coverage varies depending on state of residency and the amount of post 9/11 active-duty service.
ThanksUSA scholarships fills a very important void – providing scholarships to family member of active-duty personnel who do not commit to a longer term of service. ThanksUSA scholarships complement and supplement the post-9/11 G.I. Bill. Our scholarships will continue to aid those military dependents who might not qualify for G.I. Bill benefits or those who are left with out-of-pocket tuition costs.
One more key distinction: ThanksUSA considers each scholarship application individually, thereby allowing for multiple recipients within the same military household or extended family.
In sum: ThanksUSA, through independent donations and fundraising, continues to provide financial need-based scholarships to the spouses and dependent children of the men and women protecting our nation. Ninety percent of your donation goes to the scholarship program.